Friday, April 02, 2010

Spring Graffiti - The Black Tulip

I changed my Blogger template. 

With this new template, it feels as if  I’ m writing on a limitless wall, free to improvise, as if my blog were a strange and transparent graffiti, extending from wall to wall on dilapidated buildings,  highway ramps and freight trains abandoned on rusted railways. 

A graffiti on metaphors. 

Like all self respecting graffiti, this post begins with a coloured letter borrowed from Arthur Rimbaud’s poetry “Voyelles( Wovels):

"U, cycles, divine vibrations of viridian seas,
peace of pastures incrusted with animals"

and continues with a shadow, a fragment of poetry by Ciaran Carson on Herman Hesse’s book The Glass Bead Game :

« The game itself was difficult to visualize. I thought 
of chess more infinetely complicated than chess,

played in three dimensions, if not four or five, for the game
as I understood it, could admit of most everything, "

-   from "The Shadow" a poetry in the volume "For All We Know" by Ciaran Carson

Finally, a suggestion on how to go about understanding modern poetry playfully put forward by Dylan Thomas :

"First buy a hat, no Paris model
But one the Swiss wear when they yodel,
A bowler thing with one or two
Feathers to conceal the view ;"


And now I am ready to end, at least on this wall, my graffiti, with the image of a black tulip – a hieroglyph for poetry.


1 comment:

John Hayes said...

I've always been interested in the exchange between poetry & graffiti--great post!

Popular Posts