Friday, December 10, 2010

999,999


'Birbal', Akbar mused, 'how many crows do you imagine there are in my kingdom?'
'Jahanpanah,' Birbal replied, 'there are exactly nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine.'
Akbar was puzzled. 'Suppose we have them counted,' he said, 'and there are more than that, what then?'
'That would mean,' Birbal replied, 'that their friends from the neighboring kingdom have come to visit them'.
'And if there are fewer?' 'Then some of ours will have gone abroad to see the wider world.'

(From The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie)






3 comments:

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

Birbal had an intellect I cannot fathom, and I only envy him for I too wish to have that.

Nice post.

Cheers.

Irina said...

Thanks ...please drop by again!

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

Well I do, almost every time. I leave imprints only sometimes, you have fine tastes for literature. I admire that, and envy that too.

Regards,
Blasphemous Aesthete

Popular Posts